Here we are again at the holidays, rushing to wrap up 2013 with a stronger P&L than last year, and wondering how we can make magic again in 2014. And, oh yea, actually enjoy this most wonderful time of the year. With all the potential for stress in the remaining 27 days of 2013, I offer this: Set your mind and resolve to make every day of 2014 count towards building a more prosperous and fulfilling practice. Yes, you can make that happen.
The Best Investment
Despite all the challenges, frustrations, and stress which can be associated with practicing law, there are things you can control and that is how you invest your time. I would challenge you to make the BEST marketing investment by investing in YOURSELF!
What does that look like?
Actionable Steps You Can Take
– Calendar in at least 1-2 calls per week to contacts with whom you have not spoken in at least three months to check in on their business, your business, reminding them that you always appreciate referrals, etc.
– If you are not active in an industry group and/or your local Bar Association, make a commitment to become involved in at least one outside activity where either qualified targeted prospects and/or referral sources will be. You cannot build a practice if you are not cultivating new relationships.
– Register for a professional coaching “check up” to gain outside insights into what you may be missing and/or could be doing better in attracting and growing your practice. KLA Marketing Associates provides these as a service to our clients and at an economical rate otherwise.
– Devise concrete ways to expand your referral source network, those who so graciously send business your way. Did you reciprocate appropriately in 2013? How can you do a better job in 2014?
– If you have a roster full of clients, are you receiving as much work from them as you could? Do you even know? Perhaps either engaging in a client interview (depending on the size of the company client) or making a special point of having that conversation with at least 5 “good” clients would be a fruitful exercise. But, what would you ask and are you the best person to do that to gain honest answers?
– Commit yourself to gaining a better understanding of how effectively using social media can literally propel your practice into the stratosphere, if managed properly. Just because you may not think it is important does not necessarily makes it so.
When it comes to making positive changes in our lives, I often think of the saying, “If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always gotten.”
To learn the requisite concrete habits you must develop to become the rainmaker you are meant to be, click the buton below for a free download of Top Habits of Successful Rainmakers. Do it today!